Excellent article from Glenn Fleishman at TidBITS Safe Computing on how Elcomsoft Criticism of iOS Password Apps is Overblown.
The core point I took from the article is that there is a four factor authentication process before you can get to individual passwords:
- Get the Device (or the data file)
- Get the Security code on the Device
- Get the Security code or password for the app
- Get the Master Password
Which doesn’t preclude a user of an application like 1Password from;
- Making your Master Password strong enough
- Changing your Codes and Passwords reasonably often
Disclaimer: I user 1Password on my Mac and on iOS and have done since I originally got a free install about 3 years ago. I have since then purchased both the Mac software (currently 3.8.17) and 1Password Pro for the iPhone. Both of which I use daily on both devices.